[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Name Change - Was How to Succeed etc.

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Sun Nov 13 19:11:54 PST 2011

festival alive, under several names:

As one who has enjoyed the Sacramento music celebration since the first one,
I challenge those who are critical to get involved, find out the true
economics, and then propose something better.  Has the expansion into
various types of music always been to my taste?  No.  I grew up listening to
Western Swing and other more mainstream musical types, and discovered blues
and "Dixieland" on my own.  (Hello, Firehouse 5+2 and Teddy Buckner.)  My
wife and I first heard Zydeco at the Jubilee while waiting for one of our
favorite trad bands, and after that would not miss the Zydeco Parties in
Freeway Gardens.  There are music types that we do not care to listen to,
but have never had an issue finding somewhere that musically met our tastes.

I admire the energy, time, and dedication that the Board has put into
keeping the celebration alive.  My appreciation for their efforts goes
beyond words.  While the new name is not to my taste, if it works to keep
the celebration alive and bring new attendees I will gladly and immediately
change my opinion and praise their acumen. (Not that it matters to
anyone...)

I raise a glass to the Sacramento Board of Directors - they are "in the
arena" and putting themselves and their time into continuing presenting
music that America needs...God bless em!