[Dixielandjazz] Leo Reisman/Bubber Miley

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 11 13:39:06 PST 2011

Dick Baker wrote in reply to Bill Sargent and the Vitaphone film:
>> Bill, I don't know how you can claim that Bubber Miley is "clearly featured" on this video.  There's not a trumpet solo anywhere in the medley, and only one lukewarm (by no means hot) trumpet break near the end.  Yeah, the trumpeter in silhouette is using a mute, but the mute alone does not a Bubber make.

Dear Dick,
While certainly agreeing with your comment that "the mute alone does not a Bubber make" (and doubt has been expressed that the silhouette is much fatter than other pics of him at that time) listen again to "The Mooche".
There is no doubt in my mind that it is Bubber Miley.
Although there is nothing distinctive on "Milenberg Joys", it is he who takes the "lukewarm (by no means hot) trumpet break" on "Some of These Days".
For many years I have loved Miley's work on the Leo Reisman 1930/31 Victor sessions made after being 'let go' by Duke Ellington for his personal  unreliability.
The Vitraphone music, contained on the film's accompanying audio disc, was recorded prior to filming, so there is not guarantee that the mimed silhouette sequences contain the same band members.
Accounts of Miley's public participation with the Reisman orch mention that it was as an entertainer, dressed as an enthusiastic usher/waiter playing from the floor. And the like.
However, in the studio he was very much the featured musician.
As "Puttin'' On The Ritz" (20 January 1930) and "Without That Gal" (30 June i931) reveal.
Very kind regards,
Bill.