[Dixielandjazz] Fan conversation

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 11 15:08:58 PST 2011

 Marek Boym wrote:
> I am afraid that most of us non-Australian listmates have no idea who Graham Spedding is.

Dear Marek,
By my reference to "our mate", I meant a dear friend to Eric and me.

Here is what I wrote at the time of his untimely death:

"Dear friends,
It is with sincere regret that I advise Graham Spedding passed away peacefully on Sunday evening, 22 March 2008, after a long illness.
I met Speddo through our love for jazz in the 1950s, at which time he became dear mates.
As he was to all who knew him well.
He will be missed, not only for his cheerfulness at all times, but also for his important contribution to Australian Jazz over many years.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

Spedding, Graham [Speddo]: (b. Sydney NSW 25.11.33) clarinet/
saxophones. Began playing clarinet in 1951, played with the Zenith Jazz Band (1953-55), to Moscow with Southern Cross Jazz Band in 1957,
then joined the Black Opal Jazz Band and the Jazz Pirates (1960-62) until becoming a member of Graeme Bell’s All Stars (1963-67). He left  Australia in 1968 to work in South Africa, England (with Joe Daniels, John Parker, Eric Silk, the Black Bottom Stompers), Greece and US military bases in the Middle East and Europe. Returned to Sydney in 1976 and joined the Ray Price Quintet (1975-77), freelanced (1977-80), with the Abbey Jazz Band (1980s) and from then on ran restaurants with his wife Pam while freelancing musically. Founder-member of the Sydney
Swing 5 jazz ensemble (1998-until illness forced his retirement).
©Bill Haesler 2008."

Kind regards,
Bill.