[Dixielandjazz] Fan conversation

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Nov 11 14:27:35 PST 2011

I know I've already commented on this, but I have a little story too.

I was playing a gig in a local bar and this guy in the audience starts
hitting on a woman using me and my sousaphone as a prop. He explained
how my walking and funky lines replaced an electric bass. He pointed out
when I used dynamics and how the drummer (Marc) and I communicated
musically all the time.

He flashed all sorts of musical observations acting like a real expert,
except he couldn't remember the name of my instrument. Then, he moves in
closer, confident he is impressing her, and says; "That thing is a ...
er ... ummm ... a ..."

At that point, the woman interrupts him clearly stating; "A sousaphone."

The guy quickly realized that he was hitting on my wife at the time.

She was thoroughly amused.

All the best, Gary

On 11/11/2011 22:46, Bill Haesler wrote:
> Dear friends,
> Eric Holroyd's story reminded me of one from the 1960s when our mate Graham Spedding was a member of the Graeme Bell All Stars at the Chevron Hotel in Sydney.
> A diner asked Speddo what he was playing.
> "A clarinet", he replied.
> "Thanks" said the fan, "I want to impress somebody."
> Very kind regards,

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand