[Dixielandjazz] Leo Reisman/Bubber Miley

tyleman tyleman at isp.com
Fri Nov 11 06:20:05 PST 2011

I agree with Hal regarding this. It sounds like Bubber to me on the
"Mooche," and also like him playing the lead on "Some of These Days."

Here's an interesting little snip from the Wiki bio of Bub: "Miley
also performed live with Reisman, albeit being the only African
American in Reisman's all-white formation, either dressed in an
usher's uniform and off the bandstand, or hidden from view by a
screen."

As far as I know, there are no other Vitaphone shorts that show a band
in silhouette.

IMDB.com shows the film was made in June, 1929 (the youtube page
states March). Rust lists Miley's first recording session with the
band in January, 1930, and various biographies (Yanow, Chilton) have
him not joining the band until that time. But, that certainly doesn't
rule out the possibility that he might have been added for the film at
a date earlier than his actual known date of joining the band. The
fact they play the "Mooche" seems lend credence to his presence. As
far as I know Reisman never commercially recorded the tune. We
certainly don't know the relationship between Reisman and Miley, but
it would be out-of-line to suggest Reisman was quite an admirer of
Miley, since there were certainly other black trumpeters around in NYC
at that time he could have hired, and Miley had been sacked from
Duke's band for his alcoholism.

It also seems to me that when the band is in silhouette, they are
actually playing and not trying to "synch" to a previously recorded
track. There is a point (7:36), where the lead trumpet player takes a
breath to play a "rip" which can clearly be seen.

Regards,
Chris Tyle

--
Chris Tyle