[Dixielandjazz] Fan conversation

Eric Holroyd eholroyd at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 10 21:49:37 PST 2011

I had a gig to entertain Senior Citizens yesterday, and was very pleased at the reception to my singing and playing those good old favourites.

As I was packing up afterwards, a very nicely dressed and well spoken elderly lady
came over to congratulate me on my performance and to tell me how much she
enjoyed the trumpet.

So I murmured appropriate things and asked if she’d felt that way about the
trumpet for all of her life.

She admitted that she hadn’t, and that it was a comparatively recent thing.

She had had a lovely holiday in USA she said, and was sitting in the airport
lounge and music was playing.

Suddenly this wonderful trumpet track came on, and she just had to go to the
CD shop to buy it.

Naturally I asked who was this super trumpet player who had moved her so
much.

“Oh”, she said, “He’s quite famous, and his name is Kenny G”.