[Dixielandjazz] "Johnny Mercer's Music Shop" CD

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Nov 8 14:03:46 PST 2011

Johnny Mercer wrote more lyrics than any other song writer, more than
one thousand in all. His amiable style of singing emphasizing his
Southern drawl made him very popular. He was at one time master of
ceremonies and singer for the Paul Whiteman Band and by 1939 was singing
on the Benny Goodman Radio Show. The recordings on this disc come from
his own popular radio show Johnny Mercer's Music Shop which also
featured Jo Stafford and The Pied Pipers with June Hutton (Jo Stafford
was originally one of The Pied Pipers but when she went solo her place
was taken by June Hutton). Personnel Vocalists: a - Johnny Mercer b -
The Pied Pipers with June Hutton c - Jo Stafford d - Johnny Mercer, Jo
Stafford, The Pied Pipers with June Hutton e - The Three Barries f - The
Three Barries, The Pied Pipers with June Hutton Collective Personnel:
Paul West and His Orchestra, Stanley Wrightsman Introduction: Johnny
Mercer - Wendell Myles Is You Is or Is You Ain't (My Baby) (a) San
Fernando Valley (a) My Blue Heaven Love, Go Away (b) It Could Happen to
You Dream Introduction: Johnny Mercer - Wendell Myles Sugar (a) The
Trolley Song (b) Sure Thing Conversation with June Duprez - I Woke Up
Started Dreaming (c) Dream (b) Introduction: Johnny Mercer - Wendell
Myles Exactly Like You (b) Goodnight, Wherever You Are (c) You Can
Depend On Me Crazy Rhythm (a) Alexander's Ragtime Band (d) Dream (b)
Introduction: Johnny Mercer - Wendell Myles I Can't Help It (a) Time
Waits For No One (c) I Get the Blues When It Rains (e) I'm Not Jealous
(f) Dream (b)
http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/storeR.cgi?specific=itemcode&phrase=67175
--Bob Ringwald www.ringwald.com Fulton Street Jazz Band 530/ 642-9551
Office 916/ 806-9551 Cell Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Don Ingle added: Let's not forget one of the more lovely tenor sax solos
ever recorded - Mercer's tune "Dream" - Paul Weston Orch. and Eddie
Miller soloist. "Uncle Eddie" at his mellow best.
Also - June Hutton, who took Stafford's place in the Pied Pipers, was
Betty Hutton's sister.
Mercer's life and songs, wonderfully celebrated in the book "Our
Huckleberry Friend" (which as it happens I had pulled out of our
bookcase last week to re-read),
is perhaps the best "bible" on this American songsmith and poet laureate
of American music lyrics of our OKOM liftime.

Great post, Bob.