[Dixielandjazz] Give Me The Banjo ?

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Nov 7 08:06:53 PST 2011

On 11/7/2011 9:58 AM, John Gill wrote:
> ..." A bit of footage of Ossman was seen but not identified. Fred Van Eps was mentioned and his picture shown but no info..."

Don Ingle responded: Of course the Van Epps mentiponed was the family
head of the Van Epps kinder - George and Bobby, guitar and piano giants
in studio and recording world as well as jazz.

Program time no doubt left out the many others who excelled on banjo -
Luther "Red" Roundtree, whose banjo drove the early Spike Jones' City
Slickers Bluebirds; Perry Botkin, Crosby's guitarist who may have been
the best studio exponent of the banjo...and on and on. The fact is that
most guitarists from the early jazz period up through big band and
studio work played both banjo and guitar with equal skill and talent.
Just as bass players also played brass bass (tuba family) as well, the
professionals who made their living from plucking strings had to know
and excel in both or not last in the business as the styles and needs
changed.

Had the pleasure of hearing Don Vappie play in person and he is
correctly called a master of the instrument. His version of "Buddy
Bolden's Blues" is poetry in sound and style.

I will add one name - that of Charlie Marshall, a tenor guitar and
banjoist with a gentle and swinging style that was unfortunately taken
out of music by a farming accident that cost him an arm.
Most wouldnot know of him - but those who do remember him well. But I
have some live recordings he made with the early Sons of Bix that put
him, playing wise, in the Condon chair of tasty - felt more than heard -
rhythm players.. What a loss to all who appreciate such.