[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz and Haarlem Dixieland Band

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 01:56:35 PDT 2011

"It ain't what'cha do..."
Perhaps not all, but many musical compositions may be "jazzed up."
Duke Ellington arranged "The Nutcracker" for a jazz band; my copy alos
contains some numbers from "Per Gynt."  Willie the Lion and others
played Grieg compositions ("Anitra's Dance" comes to mind).  The Jim
Cullum Band recorded a jazz version of "Porgy and Bess."  I do not
know the record you've mentioned, but it makes sense.
But the "turning in his grave" business referred to the quality, I
guess - this was the weakest track on an otherwise excellent record.
Cheers