[Dixielandjazz] Roots of Dixieland Jazz and Haarlem Dixieland Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 1 14:24:54 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> There is a Polish (and Russian) saying "Old age is no joy."  How true!

Dear Marek,
I will let you know if this is true when I reach it.
8>)

Regarding the two questions regarding the LPs "Roots of Dixieland Jazz" and your "discographical nightmare!" Haarlem Dixieland Band (Regal SREG 2039) I will answer the second one first.
The information for the "Roots of Dixieland Jazz" LP will follow shortly.

So far as the Haarlem Dixieland Band is concerned, that one is really a question for listmate Gerard Bielderman.
However, the following is what I have,
Note that (for probable copyright reasons) some tunes have been renamed, and confirm several of your identifications.

'Down Town Jazzband'.
Haarlem Dixieland Band.
Regal SREG 2039

Karel Rijper (t) Piet Saakes (tb) Jack Stouten (cl) Roefie Hueting (p) Jaap van Kempen (bj/g-1) Chris Smildiger (sb) Hans Beths (d).
The Hague. 21 August 1965
    In This Old Street [Just A Closer Walk With Thee]
    Nobody's Girl [Hier's Ek Weer, Ek Sal Jou He]  -1
    Just Look [Oh Suzanna]

Ray Kaart (t) Dick Kaart (tb) Piet Noordijk (cl) Paul Ruys (p) Joop Scholten (g) Chris Smildiger (sb) Tony Nusser (d).
The Hague. 18 September 1965
    Wastin' [St. James Infirmary]
    Big Delight [Rondo by Chopin]
    Up And Rising [Frere Jacques]
    Deep Red Of The Colour Of My Love [Danny Boy]

Wybe Buma (t) George Kaatee (tb) Jan Morks (cl) Frans Elsen (p) Pim Hogervorst (g) Chris Smildiger (sb) Louis de Lussanet (d).
Hilversum. 30 August 1967
    Near The Blues
    Comin' Through The Chords
    When I Grow Too Old To Dream