[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 31 02:05:15 PDT 2011

Robert Ringwald wrote [in part]:
> I heard that while playing one club, Pete [Daily] used to lead the band and customers out the door and around the parking lot and into another club and then back while playing the Saints.  This one time, they went out playing and Pete disappeared and wasn't seen for 2-weeks.

Dear Bob,
One of Australia's jazz pioneers, banjo playing bandleader Ray Price, did a similar thing when his band was resident at the Marble Bar within Sydney's Hilton Hotel in the 1960s. The frontline would regularly march around the bar and lower foyer while the rhythm section remained on stage.
One night, cornetist John Sangster (another legend) led the front up the stairs and out into George Street.
When they got to Town Hall railway station John caught a train and went home.
If this story is wrong my mate, Jack Mitchell, may correct me.
*>)
Kind regards,
Bill.