[Dixielandjazz] Solos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 06:24:17 PDT 2011

How do you feel about solos on other instruments, asks Anton.

Like many, I love the clarinet solo on High Society done on other
instruments. After all didn't it used to be a piccolo solo? <grin>

Then again, I like Dippermouth without the Oliver solo as well as with
it. Same goes for "Oh Play That Thing".

Once played a gig with a trumpeter, Al Harrison, who could do it and
also used to crack up when trombonist Glenn Dodson would do the first
2 bars of it and then slur off into a parody of the next 6 bars. He
could play a lot of Clarinet songs on trombone.

Did High Society month at a concert by Tex Wydham's Red Lions. After
the normal clarinet obbligato plus a one chorus improv, then dogfight,
then Clarinet in low register joined Bass Sax for a same note duet.
Fun. Especially since we did the solo chorus in Bb instead of the
normal Eb.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband