[Dixielandjazz] Solos

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon May 30 02:39:35 PDT 2011

Thank you, Anton!
I was just trying to figure out how to start, and you have supplied
the platform.
Have you ever heard Blue and Sentimental without a saxophone?  You
might have, but it is rare.  Yet the Swiss Tremble Kids recorded a
terrific version in 1977, using the regular "Dixieland" lineup! Very
original, too.  Likewise, something I have already mentioned on the
list, the Danish soprano szxophonist and calrinettist Henning Munk
Plum plays West End Blues with a quartet (Henning Munk and Plumperne)
and transposes the Armstron solo intro for soprano saxophone.  Our own
Avram Felder plays it on trumpet or cornet, but hardly ever exactly
like on the classic recording - he almost invariably varies it, and it
sounds just lovely!
The abovementioned record by the Tremble Kids is titled "25 Jahre The
Tremble Kids" (25 years), and the band includes two internationally
acclaimed stars - Oscar Klein (from Austria) on trumpet and the Geneva
pianist Henri Chaix (in those days they might not have been as well
know as they were later).
As to Dippermouth - I agree with Bill.
And Rex Stewart recorded "Petit Fleur" as a cornet rather than
clarinet or soprano sax solo, and it sounds very good indeed.  Edmond
Hall recorded it on the more comventional clarinet, but his seems to
be the only version that is really different than the Bechet original.
Cheers,
Marek