[Dixielandjazz] FW: Solos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 30 00:28:47 PDT 2011

Anton asked:
>An addendum to the matter of repeated solos - what are peoples' views on
the case where the solo becomes part of the composition?

I already mentioned that in one of my recent posts.  Some repeated solos
have actually become part of a composition is some cases.  They most likely
should be played, although one doesn't have to stick note to note to the
original if the feeling strikes.  There can be flights from the
original...why not?

Anton continues:
>How would we feel if we heard Dippermouth with the cornet solo played on a
piano?
We are reedless for the last 11 yrs., and I've tried to get our trumpeter to
play the clarinet solo to High Society, but so far it hasn't struck his
fancy.  But, why shouldn't that happen, if the other instrument can pull it
off?  'twould be fun!

Jim