[Dixielandjazz] Try to vary your solos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun May 29 02:09:02 PDT 2011

Lots of very long descriptions going on here as to how the phenonema of
"same solos" came about with some of the famous jazz musicians.  Probably
they are all valid.  However, my aim here is to relate that to our own
playing, not being particularly concerned with what the famous did or did
not do in the past.

I stick to what I said earlier:  "It (trying to be creative) is the only way
to keep the music fresh, thereby keeping yourself & your bandmates fresh.
Otherwise, it just becomes a job."

No one is going to be able to reach that point 100% of the time.  And, there
are some solos that have become actually part of a song, so must be repeated
(more or less).  But, trying to reach for fresh ideas is the way to having a
happy, creative band nite after nite.

By the way, while working 5 or 6 hrs a day in recording sessions over a
period of some 30 yrs, I often followed that for months on end with two
theater shows each nite lasting 2 hrs each show (on stage & in the pit) six
nites a week, with many of the theater nites being followed by three
forty-five minute jazz sets at a club after the theater, so I can talk about
boring!  The jazz gigs are the only ones that give you the freedom to fly,
so why restrict that?

Jim