[Dixielandjazz] Repeated solos

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sat May 28 17:15:05 PDT 2011

Of course it's impossible for a jazz musician to play a solo on a given tune
greatly differently after hundreds, even dozens, of times. And I can listen
to Tea doing BASIN STREET BLUES or Wild Bill with BLUE AND BROKEN HEARTED no
matter how many times I've heard them.

However I think it's a bit arrogant of top musicians like Louis, Bud Freeman
and Wild Bill (all of whom I've heard with their set pieces) play the same
tunes night after night. Several contributors to this thread  have remarked
on how bored some musicians were following this course, so why do they do
it? Obviously they know hundreds of tunes, so why not mix it up a bit?

Along this line I must congratulate Bob Barnard - of course he too plays set
tunes that he knows the public want to hear, but look at his discography as
he travels around the world, and ran his Melbourne Jazz Parties for ten
years, and he not only covers almost the whole range of jazz and popular
tunes, but is constantly adding new tunes to his repertoire.

Of course Graeme and Roger Bell did the same thing back in the forties -
they deliberately set out to discover and learn as many of the known tunes
of the day as they could find to add variety to their performances.

No doubt there are similar instances of that attitude amongst bands of which
I'm not cognisant, but I still can't fathom why the greats restricted their
later performances to so few tunes.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell