[Dixielandjazz] Repeated solos

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 27 12:18:36 PDT 2011

> Then also, later on Louis was often accused, by critics of playing the same
> solos on various tunes for years. I figure so what? They were still HIS
> solos whether original or repeated. <grin>

I have read this many times.  all tunes were set, etc. etc.  Then why
aren't they always the same length?

My ears (even if Steve does not trust them) tell me that the critics
were superficial.  I do not want to say the solos were ALL different,
but somehow they sound different from performance to performance - the
inflections, perhaps?

Cheers