[Dixielandjazz] Ghost Ellington

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue May 24 15:05:08 PDT 2011

I was of course referring to the saxophone-counting sort of swingband fan!
The wilfully unmusical sort.
Ein Schwindel! Only three sexophones!!!
The equivalent Tradixielander complained when there was even one such horn.
Or cried blasphemy if no Saints trudged in

I remember Lol Coxhill reminiscing about his time with a Glenn Miller ghost
band, playing a tenor into some electronics in the absence of a baritonist or
baritone sax. Not quite the same as making up numbers.
Nat did on occasion produce the 1950s Basie band sound with remarkably few
horns, not least with Joe Temperley.

And fill a hall the Lincoln Center Big Band later made seem too big.
Even with Joe in it!