[Dixielandjazz] Film, 'Water For Elephants".

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 24 02:49:40 PDT 2011

Dear friends,
Today, Jess and I saw the new film, "Water For Elephants", set in 1931 (a good year).
We thoroughly enjoyed it.
The soundtrack included two genuine 1920s jazz classic recordings: "I Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl" by Bessie Smith and "Stomp Time Blues" by Jasper Taylor and His State Street Boys.
Also featured in several party scenes is a fine 'dixieland' group, The Speak Easy Jazz Band.
Plus a good circus band and sideshow band.
The internet provides the Speak Easy personnel as: Todd Cochran (piano) Mike Davis (trombone) Keith Fiddmont (reeds) plus Wynton McCurdy, Deryl Patterson, Kabin Thomas and Karl Vincent.
The first three are listed in my file index for musicians.
Does anyone know these people?
Our jazz has had a good run lately.
'Treme', "Boardwalk Empire' and now this one.
Hopefully, the kids will take notice, if only subliminally.
Very kind regards,
Bill.