[Dixielandjazz] Here's an even better job offer

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Mon May 16 16:22:10 PDT 2011

 Stan:

 Just my personal opinion, but I think perhaps the reason that Duke Ellington Societies may be losing their audiences and membership could very well be because they are not doing the proper outreach for new membership of the younger people just like the Dixieland or OKOM Societies for the most part.   There are tons of college kids out there in all the colleges studying and playing Ellington music daily.  You guys should go over to UCLA  and any other S. Cal. colleges with music departments, and pass out "hip colorful flyers" ( like the Rock bands do) and invite the music students to your events, invite them to come play at them etc.  They too are looking for places to play the music and this music is timeless but it has to be taken to the masses by US  they have no clue where to find it.   Some of these younger players in California are forming their own Ellington Tribute bands and creating their own gigs and followings of loyal paying fans.

So many well meaning organizations just dwindle down to private clubs of friends and when they die off over the years they are not being replaced.  I realize that as we all get older some do not have the drive and energy to go out recruiting but someone has got to do it or all the newer genres of music will crowd us all into obscurity.

Playing music for a living is hard non stop work, and promoting it and attempting to develop and keep an audience for it is also very very hard work and often thankless work too.   A bit of modernization can go a long way to keeping old Traditional music alive and viable.    There is nothing wrong with folks who wish to be Mouldy Figs as some on this list like to call themselves or each other, but not embracing some change in some music forms is going to drive away potential younger audiences who might actually embrace the Traditional if brought into it and nurtured a bit to like it.   If we can't hear this music on the radio today, neither can all those younger folks, so it behooves all of us to get out there everywhere we can and self promote our kind of music.

Cheers,

Bart.