[Dixielandjazz] Unhappy musicians

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sun May 22 17:50:40 PDT 2011

Because Nancy mentions both bands that I am in, I'm fairly certain she was
directing her comments at me. I have replied to her off-list, but after
re-reading her email with some alarm, I feel that I need to respond more
publicly to the whole list.

While disappointed that neither band I am in was invited to appear at
Sacramento this year, I have NEVER said anything even remotely like what she
claims in her first paragraph. As I mentioned to her, the whole concept of
"Bay Area" versus non Bay Area musicians did not and would not occur to me,
so advising people from the Bay Area to not attend was just plain made up or
conflated with the opinion of whoever sent her email. It did not come from
me. I also mentioned the fact that I have repeatedly told many people that
Bob Shulz will be there as a guest artist, so this whole "Bay Area" thing
makes no sense at all.

The only subjects that I have discussed with others have been around the
rapid decline in the emphasis and number of Trad Jazz bands at the festival,
which is an observable fact.

Scott Anthony
Golden Gate Rhythm Machine