[Dixielandjazz] (no subject) - was Sacramento Festival and NOJ&HF

Coastsidegiraffe at comcast.net Coastsidegiraffe at comcast.net
Mon May 16 17:37:58 PDT 2011

Nancy Giffin wrote: " I feel many folks are complaining because they are understandably grieving the decline of something wonderful that is not what it used to be. " And she went on with some very astute observations and comments.

Nancy,

What a gracious and observant post! As I am still smarting from the scolding that
Bob ( a good friend) dished out for my brief concurrence with Jim's original post on this topic, your post was most welcome. I've been attending the Sacramento Jubilee (yes, I still think of it as the Jubilee) for many, many years - long before I knew much about Trad Jazz, long before I became one of the dancers on the dance floors there, and long before I married one of the musicians. And I've loved every minute of it every year. So I think I can consider myself a long-time supporter of this Festival

I applaud the wonderful work that everyone connected with the Festival does. Many of them are close friends of ours. It is a herculean effort.

Recognizing that the Festival is (and has been for a few years) gradually taking a different direction and diversifying from the original Trad Jazz focus, you are correct that some of us are "mourning" what we treasured in the Festival. While some of the Trad Jazz audience is passing on, many of our friends are choosing to spend their money at festivals that are more Trad Jazz centered and they opt out on the Sacramento Festival. I've noticed this more last year, and now this year, than in past years. In a way this also seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy: the Festival feels it's audience is getting smaller, it reduces what draws the Trad audience and so the Trad audience becomes smaller. So be it.

Your Festival does a terrific job of funding the Jazz Camps and your monthly meetings are terrific! I certainly wish the Festival every success.

Sincerely,
Karen Brooks Anthony
Pacifica