[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Nancy Doran Giffin nancyink at surewest.net
Sun May 15 18:59:18 PDT 2011

Dear Jazz Friends,

Hi! Long time since I've been a regular on DJML. I miss the special people here.  All my spare time has been devoted to keep the music playing in Sacramento -- at the festival, at the monthly Jazz Sundays, at the summer Trad. Jazz Camp, and elsewhere.

Bob Ringwald told me there was some discussion about the Sac. Jazz Fest. & Jubilee.  I like what Steve said in support of Bob Ringwald's post, so I won't repeat it.  Instead, I will address all who may be grieving the loss of what used to be.

I really respect the die-hard fans and the jazz culture that has existed for decades, bringing people together for music, fun and friendship. Add the dancing and the education programs, and I find there is something very special happening in Sac. thanks to hardworking volunteers and loyal supporters.

Rather than condemn anyone for their right to speak freely, I want to say that I respect everyone's opinion and am willing to listen.  You see, I feel many folks are complaining because they are understandably grieving the decline of something wonderful that is not what it used to be. I will not tell them they cannot express disappointment. Things are not what I remember decades ago. Those who long for "days gone by" must be feeling some genuine heartache. It's tough seeing friends pass away, and see others grow too old to play music, or volunteer, or dance, or travel to participate in this enriching social culture.

I can only offer my empathy, my sympathy, and my hard work and dedication to helping STJS do the best it is able in a new era and in this tough economy. There are many people like Bob Ringwald that give everything they have so that the rest can enjoy the fruits of their labor. You all have no idea how inspiring some of these volunteers truly are, and we should only be grateful. It takes a real saint to persevere as a volunteer amid complaints that lack appreciation and understanding of the complexities, so let's offer support to STJS and their amazing festival and jazz camps. I believe it is better to build something up than to tear it down, especially if it's something like this wonderful festival that keeps the jazz camps funded and the monthly concerts playing. These are family reunions of a sort, and that's a beautiful thing.

If you do come to the festival, please say hello! I am grateful and appreciative of all the loyal, positive, happy jazz fans that are equally grateful and appreciative of STJS -- its festival, its educational programs, and all the live music.

Cheers,
Nancy Giffin

P.S. I have a new e-mail address: Nancyink1 at gmail.com