[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Snooky Young

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun May 15 14:07:53 PDT 2011

A wonderful musician, Snooky Young.
I don't care very mcu for some of the bands mentioned in the obituary;
I tried to like The Atomic Mr. BAsie, listened to it many times -a and
each time liked it less.

>the trumpet sections of big bands led by such renowned musicians as Jimmie Lunceford,
> Count Basie, Lionel Hampton and Benny Carter.

> Mr. Young, who recorded only three albums as a leader of small groups,

Snooky's and Marshall's Album (Marshall being Royal) is wonderful.
WAht are the other two?

> or lead, in a big band. Although he didn't solo as much as other players in the section,

Jazz on You Tube honoured him by playing his solo woth Doc Severinsen.
 It shows him as a very good soloist.

> Mr. Young's trumpet can be heard on such classic recordings as Lunceford's "Uptown
> Blues" (1939) and Basie's "The Atomic Mr. Basie" (1957), which featured the Neal

>He was sometimes
> featured in solos or in musical duels with the band's leader, trumpeter Doc Severinsen.

Cheers