[Dixielandjazz] A real ad for a band in 2011

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 14:02:30 PDT 2011

" Do the
math here folks   this equates to about $3.00 to $5.00 an hour  and
shows what most folks out there think a Dixieland band is actually worth to hire."

I think your analysis of this gig offering is horrendous. You said “Do the math,” but your math is way off. The calculation of the pay per person is not based on the number of people attending but instead is based on the amount paid to each performer. You based your calculations on the $300.00 price. If you take the $500.00 price and have a five person band it is $100.00 each. Assuming you play two hours you are getting $50.00 per hour.

You have assumed the band will be expected to play for the full time the event is taking place. You can only determine how long you will be expected to play by contacting the organizers. I have always found it easy to convince them that no wind band plays for that many hours.

" ... and
shows what most folks out there think a Dixieland band is actually worth to hire."

I think this actually shows how much money Rona set aside for entertainment. Whether it be a Dixie band or any other kind of band, there is only so much in the budget. This is no slight against Dixie. It is a reflection of budgeting for entertainment.

You noted that a CDN dollar may be worth less that a USD. A Canadian Dollar may also be worth more than a USD.

While I don't deny that it would be great to see musicians paid more, I also think we can't approach things with such a negative outlook.

I take it from your email that the ad was posted in the USA. Where exactly was this ad posted? I find it odd that anyone would be advertising in the USA for a band to play in Canada. Is it possible it was posted on an international website where anyone can see the gigs but there is no intention of
 expecting foreign groups to apply?

Kevin Yeates
Vancouver, Canada