[Dixielandjazz] Reason for less OKOM at Sacramento Jazz Festival (formerly Dixieland Jubilee)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:23:14 PDT 2011

Does it work, Charlie?
Have you really attracted new, younger audience?

IN Europe, some festivals are indeed managed in closed, paid venues.
It is difficult for me to know waht's going on now in Breda - I
haven't been there since 2005, but until then one could listen to free
music outdoors.  True, there was some sound overlap, especially from
stages featuring music with screaming electric guitars, but
nevertheless enjoyable enough.  I assume that the pubs near which the
stages were located participated in expenditure - after all, they got
a lot of business!  And, of course, many bands had sponsors.  And
while this does not contribute directly to the cash register, it
provides exposure for the music and ensures new audiences.  Of course,
there were paid venues, too, and they, too, were well attended.  And
sold food and beverages (but their beer selection was poor - a good
thing, as it saved me money).  Of course, the weather affects
attendance at the paid vanues - when it was bitterly cold, people
crowded into the closed venues rather than sitting outside.
And yes, Breda, like Sacramento, dropped the "Old Time" tag and
remained just "Jazz Festival," and added blues, zydeco, etc.
Cheers