[Dixielandjazz] Do subs de-legitimize a band?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu May 12 14:51:04 PDT 2011

I understand that a band wants to maintain a sound.  I think most band
leaders try to keep the same people / sound.

Union contracts and my contract specifies only numbers of musicians not who
they are.  Just why should the leader and the other side men suffer because
one or two guys can't make it.

The leader is under contract to supply X number of musicians and he can get
sued if he cancels out at the last minute.  I have never met a single leader
that would cancel out on a contract.

A musician that does that very often should be replaced.  I think that the
ire at band leaders is misplaced.  Side men are often side men because they
don't have the organizational skills of leaders which means that they double
book and /or don't show up.  I got a gig a couple of years ago when a leader
called the sax player a couple of hours before the gig and he was in New
Orleans.

Some leaders double book all the time.  Musicians unlike a shoe store can
only make a sale one time for a particular date.  There are some dates that
this is almost routine like NYEve.  Leaders should, and do often, have a
back up list of musicians.

If my cornet player books a gig I get someone else and if I book a gig that
he has me on, he gets someone else but then again I have a couple of players
that I can call on that are very good.

Bands that rely solely on head charts are looking for trouble if a key
person can't make it.  I would think a leader would have a plan B.
Larry
St.L