[Dixielandjazz] Library of Congress National Jukebox (NPR segment)

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Thu May 12 09:51:38 PDT 2011

Last night, I looked at the collection and discovered that many of them are
from the Victor catalogue. The collection can be searched by a variety of
factors such as artist, composer, title, genre, etc. On the jazz side were
all of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band's early recordings, some Eubie
Blake, Six Brown Brothers, Original Memphis Five. There were 170 recordings
by Paul Whiteman groups, Jean Goldkette (with Tommy Dorsey, Bill Rank, Joe
Venuti, Don Murray), Arthur Pryor (including several with Pryor's trombone
solos) recordings as well as recordings by Zez Confrey, New Orleans Rhythm
Kings.

Many of the tunes still played by today's jazz bands were originals before
1925. It's fascinating listening to these earlier versions.

I'm spending too much time with this treasure trove. ;}

Stan
Stan Brager