[Dixielandjazz] Story about New Orleans in Atlantic magazine

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed May 11 12:38:27 PDT 2011

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman

Here's a story about New Orleans, culture and music, and how HBO show Treme'
dramatizes the city.  For those interested, here a link. Some photos and  a
video of street musicians ( I wasn't that impressed with the video)   Also
mentions various festivals and Offbeat Magazine, the music magazine of NO,
which is distributed free in New Orleans.  Offbeat also has a website and a
weekly e-list, for those who want to follow the music that closely.

Our listmate, New York trumpeter Ed Polcer, tells me that he now has an
apartment in French Quarter, spends time down there and gets a number of
gigs.

Ed's son Ben, also a trumpeter, is part of a rotating group of  young
musician who call themselves "The Loose Marbles."   Our Jazz Society of
Pensacola has had the Loose Marbles group perform for us-they were crowd
pleasers.

Here's the link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/05/post-katrina-new-orleans-and
-the-modern-american-city/238726/