[Dixielandjazz] Brian Ross- Jazz Takes a Back Seat at NOJ&H Fest--Huffington Post

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:51:41 PDT 2011

Hardly surprising.  Even as far back as 1980, the only time I
attended, jazz did not take the front seat.

On the other hand, I do not subscribe to Brian Ross' assertion "yes
friends, Wynton Marsalis and Christian McBride and Chick Corea are big
names to all of us who love the music."  Wynton Marsalis - perhaps,
sometimes.  The others - forget it!  I would assume that most
listmates (I know, not all - there are some who vehemently defend the
so-called "modern jazz," and those should remember that I am entitled
to my own opinion, and to putting "modern jazz" in quotes) would not
name the musicians mentioned by Mr. Ross among their favourites.
The trouble wit "modern jazz is that "Modern Jazz deviates. It
explores. It redefines. Sometimes it is linear. Sometimes it is not."
So it's lost the audience.  Some went back to the roots, creating the
Great Revival.  But that has not caught up with the critical
fraternity.  Thus, jazz press of the time often referred to the West
Coast as if it were a jazz desert, despite - or because - of all those
wonderful revivalist bands playing all over the place.
Sure, the audience has aged.  Lack of exposure has caused lack of new
audience.  But there is hope - there already was one revival.  I do
not expect the grand scale revival of the 1950's to recur, but all
over th world there are young bands, and those play to young
audiences.  But this requires reaching out.  Young people will not
come to "geriatric Woodstock" (that's how aDutch friend's children
described the Breda Jazz Festival back in 1990); OKOM must be brought
to the young audience.  But when young people hear this danceable
music, they dance.  I have never been to the Caveau de la Huchette
(sp?), a well known Paris jazz spot, but I know it is a dancing place.
 Even when musicians like Hamilton Scott play there, people dance to
their music.  And therefore, at least a part of the audience is young.
 Young people want to have fun, not high-brow concerts.  Steve Barbone
brings jazz to young people.  At least some are likely to come back.
so do some other listmates.  If bands do not seek young audiences, the
existing one will eventually die out.
Cheers to the young!
Marek