[Dixielandjazz] Humphrey Lyttelton and Cab Kaye reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun May 8 20:52:34 PDT 2011

Humphrey Lyttelton and Cab Kaye: High Class (Lake)
by Dave Gelly
London Observer, May 8, 2011
The core of this 25-track compilation is an album hitherto so rare that more jazz
buffs have heard tell of it than actually heard it. It features Humph and marvelous
British-Ghanaian singer Cab Kaye -- just the two of them and the rhythm section.
If you can imagine a male singer with all the casual grace of a young Billie Holiday,
that was Cab. What's more, the session dates from 1960, when Lyttelton's trumpet
playing was at its peak. Soon after recording this, Cab moved to Ghana and only fleetingly
appeared in Britain thereafter. He died in 2000. This proves that he really was as
good as they say.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.