[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat May 7 22:30:14 PDT 2011

FYI
Kaye Berigan 5 tet
Appearing At
Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee
By Julie Flemming
Kaye Berigan with his "5tet - Music From The Great American Song Book" band will
be appearing at the Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee.
Kaye is recognized as one of the top trumpet players in
Wisconsin
 and his claim to fame is not that he is the nephew of the famous trumpet player,
Bunny Berigan, but that he is a fabulous musician. Kaye is quoted about his Uncle
Bunny, "As a kid, I never knew that anyone outside of my family knew Bunny. Everybody
has an Uncle Bernie or Harold, right?
I didn't find out that others knew of him until I got drafted and guys, in the band
that I was sent to, asked if I was related".
Yes, he certainly is related and documents state that Bunny simply loved his nephew,
Kaye.
Bunny passed away when Kaye was just three years old. The Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee
is simply thrilled to have him appearing on Friday night (
May 13, 2011
) of the three day event, playing familiar and danceable music. (Dance floor is available
at both venues during the Bunny Berigan Jazz Jubilee)
     Kaye resided in Fox Lake, WI
, until he was three years old when his family moved to
Milwaukee.
Kaye admits that he wanted to play the trumpet for as long as he can remember, but
it took him until he was 11 years old to convince his mother to let him take lessons.
It has been written that Kaye has not been able to put down the instrument since
and has gone on to enjoy a 50+ year career as a mainstay on the
Milwaukee
 music scene.
      Not to say that this has always been easy.
In a recent communication with Kaye, he disclosed that five and one half years ago
he was struck with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
According to MedlinePlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, "Guillain-Barre
Syndrome is a serious disorder that occurs when the body's defense (immune) system
mistakenly attacks part of the nervous system.
This leads to nerve inflammation that causes muscle weakness."
It can attack the nerves of the head, lead to numbness, cause difficulty moving face
muscles and make taking deep breaths almost impossible.
Any one of the symptoms would be serious for a trumpet player.
Kaye states "I could not play at all.
Playing the trumpet has always been difficult for me, but I had developed the ability
to play the 'music'..now I had to start all over again and I would say that I am
still struggling."
      Kaye graduated from the University of
Wisconsin - Milwaukee
, joined the Army, and spent some time in
Washington D.C.
 where he attended the Naval School of Music as an army recruit.
He then served his country with the 28 pc. Army Band in
Italy
 for sixteen months and upon returning to the states began teaching in the Milwaukee
Public Schools as a band and ensemble teacher.
According to a Teacher Profile published by the
James Madison High School
 where Kaye had been teaching for twelve years, "Kaye spent nine years at Burrows
Junior High, and before that two years at Lincoln Junior/Senior High.
And before that-he taught in our (
Milwaukee
) Saturday program while he was earning his B.S. in Music Education.
He also taught at the Wisconsin Conservatory for a year."
Recognized for his versatility, Kaye has seemingly done it all: he's played in pit
orchestras, dance bands, with duos, trios, quartets and is a familiar face on the
bandstand with
Milwaukee
's acclaimed 16 pc. All-Star SUPERband big band.
He has backed numerous
Milwaukee
 names like Ziggy Milonzi and Tommy Sheridan. and played with nationally known names
such as Bob Hope, Henny Youngman, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Della Reese, Vic Damone
and Mel Torme.
Kaye has been quoted as saying "One of my fondest memories is being featured as a
soloist with Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd."
According to CD Universe "Kaye Berigan is a veteran Milwaukee/Chicago area jazz musician
who has been active on the jazz scene since the early 60's.
He has been first call for any gig that requires competent jazz soloing, and leads
what are considered to be among the best small jazz groups in the area."
Members of the 5tet that he is bringing to
Fox Lake, WI, on May 13, 2011
 are:
    Frank DeMiles:  Milwaukee
's keyboard legend.
    Mike Pauers:
Baritone Saxophonist with the All-Star
SUPERband and leader of the band Clamnation.
    George Welland:
Member of The Milwaukee Connection and First call bassist on
Milwaukee's scene.
     Jack Carr:
Drummer for Ziggy Milonzi, Ron Devillers/Jack Carr Big Band, Chuck Hedges and The
Milwaukee Connection.
     Kaye Berigan:
Jazz trumpet soloist , teacher, counselor, jazz musician mentor and push behind starting
the All-Star SUPERband.
As this story is being written Kaye is off to
Australia
 with the Waukesha South Band and Jazz Band.
They will be doing three concerts while in
Australia.
As Kaye has put it, "the music is revered in
Asia and Europe
 while the musical artists are honored in
America.  Jazz is an American Art Form."
Kaye was in attendance at the very first Bunny Berigan Day in
Fox Lake, WI
, in 1974.
He sat in the audience with his Mother and joined in a few numbers with the bands
playing that day.
This year Kaye will lead his 5tet at the American Legion Clubhouse on
Friday, May 13, 2011
 and is opening the second half of his set to anyone who would like to sit in with
the band. The Kaye Berigan 5tet plays
6:30 to 8:45 PM
 when the Bunny Berigan Memorial Band takes the floor and plays
9:00 to 11:00 PM.
The whole evening will be a fantastic music experience and is open to the public.
For more information one can call 920-928-6094 or email: julieflemming at yahoo.com

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.