[Dixielandjazz] Wanna Keep OKOM Alive?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 6 12:48:15 PDT 2011

> Dixiejazzdata <dixiejazzdata at aol.com> wrote
>
> If any bands really want to keep OKOM alive, one of the easiest ways
> is to use your computer effectively and get involved in
> shameless self and OKOM promotion,  there are hundreds maybe
> thousands of Jazz music sites on the World Wide Web to post your
> photos, audio and videos on with links to your Website.   Just
> having a Cd or a Website is not enough, especially if NOBODY knows
> where it is or how to buy it or book your band.
>
> Here is just one you can use, and just because you may not see any
> other OKOM Bands on it does not mean you should not be the first,
>
> http://www.thejazznetworkworldwide.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network
>
> If more OKOM bands would at least try to market themselves beyond
> the Trad Jazz Societies  the music could actually eventually have an
> upward bounce in popularity again.   Usually every site you find
> will have links to other sites and it's usually Free.  the favorite
> OKOM price.
>
> Believe it or not there are Millions of people out there who have
> never heard of Dixieland music  so take it to them.

Hey dixielandjazzdata:

That;s OK for bands that may want to travel, but for us old folks who
stick close to home, the secret is LOCAL PROMOTION. Does it work?

Yes. Because I was undergoing radiation treatments for cancer which
took 3 hours out of my day, I quit promoting in Feb, and March. Did
not have a lot of gigs. Then as the treatment is ending (successfully)
I started promoting LOCALLY in April. Here are the June Gigs that
resulted so far, not including my gigs asa a sideman with other bands.:

Barbone Street June Gigs - Call Steve Barbone at 610-998-0431 for
information and verification of times, directions etc. (These are not
the usual cheapie Restaurant gigs, but relatively high payers in front
of diversified audiences)

1) June 4 - 6:30PM to 8:30PM, Silent Auction Dinner Party, Ware
Village, Oxford PA.

2) June 5 - Noon to 2:30 PM, Cancer Survivor Party, King of Prussia PA

3) June 11 - 5:00PM to 9:00 PM, Wedding, Bath & Tennis Club, Spring
Lake NJ

4) June 12 - 7:00 PM to 8:00PM, Jazz Vespers, Methodist Church,
Havertown PA

5) June 16 - 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM,  Arbor Terrace, Chestnut Hill PA

6) June 19 - 6:30PM to 8:30 PM, Miller Park, Exton PA

7) June 23 - 1:30PM to 2:30 PM, Villas at St Martha, Downingtown PA

8) June 23 - 3:00PM to 4:00 PM, The Manor, Downingtown PA

9) June 25 - 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Wedding, Congressional Country Club
Bethesda MD

10) June 26 - 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM, Dogfish Head, Rehoboth DE

11) June 27 - 9:00 PM to Midnight, Rusty Rudder, Dewey Beach DE

12) June 28 - 4:00PM to 6:00PM, Forward Manor, Wilmington DE

13) June 30 - 7:00 PM to 9 PM, Muhlenberg High School, Temple
(Reading) PA

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband