[Dixielandjazz] Wanna keep OKOM alive ?

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Fri May 6 11:10:46 PDT 2011

 Hi Bill:   that may be true, however the idea is that if we want to get a bigger and lasting audience for the music we have to expose it
to as many million internet users as possible who think what you heard is JAZZ :))  If OKOM bands do not self promote, and get themselves at least visible to the mainstream Jazz audiences it will indeed just die a slow painful death.

 The academic musical world has taken over the Jazz genre and if they have their way OKOM will never be heard again, and just because most of them do not want to play it does not mean there is no audience out there wanting to hear it.   It is therefore up to us to get ourselves out there where we can be seen and heard.  Surprisingly many younger wanna be jazzers will then hear and possibly embrace OKOM.

There is also a great shortage of OKOM Cds available on sites like CDbaby,  I spoke with a list member yesterday who finally put One of their bands 7 Cds up on Cdbaby  and surprise it started selling the first month with no advertising or further work, so that proves there are people out there looking for OKOM music.

What I am trying to say is that all you OKOM bands that got left behind back in the 60's now have great opportunities available to you to market and promote your music and get on websites that expose you to Hungry music buyers, and people actually looking to hire your kind of band.

I remember when the DJ's started out promoting live bands and competing with them for good paying gigs, telling the clients that they were a lot cheaper than hiring a Live band.  that was total nonsense, and there are DJ's out there today charging two to five times what a Band makes.

Bottom line, if you have a product and you don't promote it and expose it chances are pretty damned good you won't get many good gigs no matter HOW GOOD you play.   You need to be where the action is if you expect to get any of it.   Can't win the Lottery if ya don't buy a ticket.

Your music can be great and wonderful, but if NOBODY hears it or knows where to find it why bother.

I personally do not want to be the LAST OKOM BAND on the planet :))   ha ha
Cheers,

Lurker friend.