[Dixielandjazz] Jon Erik Kellso

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:53:11 PDT 2011

Dear Bob,
I know wha "type cast" means.  But "type casting" within such a varied
context as Vine Giordano, sort-of Chicag Dixieland and swing seems to
push it so far.  You uorself explaint the word as "playing one type of
style."  But there is some difference between solo-based styles and
the enseble-based West Coast.

>> Kellso is a very sophisticated musician; I have heard his playing with
>> Giordano, with Dixieland bands and with swing bands, and he fit in
>> very well.  The Yerba Buena style is another matter.
>

> By "Yerba Buena style" I presume you mean the 2-trumpet, banjo, tuba Waters SF style?
>
> Do you mean to say that playing the "Yerba Buena" style is not "sophisticated?"

Pehaps.  However, I remember finding, to my surprise, that those
"young West Coast amateurs" of whom we heard (Watters, Murphy) were in
fact very well established, proficient professionals, who played in
and (at least in the case of Watters) arranged for swing bands.  So
you might be right.

> Marek, it takes just as much musical talent or sophistication to play the "Yerba Buena" style well, as it does to play any other style of Jazz.  The key word here is "well."

I've never cast doubt as to the professionalism of the West Coast
style musicians, in the US or in Europe.  But it's not the first time
the transition thereof surprises me, only in the other cases it was
from West Coast to other styles.  Bob Schultz and Leon Oakley (whom I
have already mentioned) come to mind.

> There are a lot of musicians who, because of the lack of musical knowledge of the general public, are playing music, badly and the audience doesn't know the difference between bad music and good music.

An experienced audience does.

>> But perhaps you are right - Leon Oakley had been a West Coast (style,
> not area) player to me until I heard the Wild Bill Centennial.
>

> As an example, Listen to Bill playing with Condon, and then listen to his recordings with strings.Many years ago, UK Melodisc issued an LP "Wild and Mild," in which those two facets of DAvison were highlighted.  I have most of his recordings with Condon, and too many to metion without him.  Not sure they are really so different, the hot and the mellow - not everything the Wild One recorded with Condon was "wild."
>

> No, not "staitght-ahead jazz."  I said "Straight ahead Jazz."  Meaning sort of a 1950s Jazz, sort of modern but not too modern.
>

>> I may be wrong, of course,
>> since a ragtime and trad player (these things somehow go together,
> especially insofar as pianists are concerned).
>

> Not necessarily.  Ragtime is sort of an early stride style and a lot of Trad pianists do not play stride, thus they do not play Ragtime.

I am afraid to arouse the wrath of some listmates, but for me, a
little ragtime goes a long way.  Stride, on the other hand, is
probably my favourite piano style.

Best regards,