[Dixielandjazz] Brian Rust

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 31 19:53:19 PDT 2011

The Guardian has caught up and published an obit by Tony Russell of the epic
discographer

and via
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/31/brian-rust-obituary

you can find a photo of Brian Rust at home in Hatch End, north-west London,  in
the early 1960s, listening to a prewar phonograph.  Photograph: Val  Wilmer
and the following text, including Val's reminiscence added:

The American jazz musician Eddie Condon, visiting Britain in 1957 and being
questioned  about the personnel on one of his records, confessed: "I have
trouble  remembering who was in the studio last week, let alone on a job in
1932." "Wasn't it 1931?" said the enquiring fan. "If you know what year  it
was," Condon replied, "you tell me who was on it."
The  anecdote has not preserved the inquisitor's name, but perhaps it was  the
discographer Brian Rust, the leading figure in this discipline of  his
generation, who has died aged 88.
To the outsider, the  meticulous gathering of musical minutiae might look like a

form of  trainspotting, but accurate discography is a cornerstone of musical
history and criticism. Charles Delaunay had preceded Rust in 1936 with  his Hot
Discography, but Rust's Jazz Records 1897-1931 (later extended  to 1942), first
published in 1961, went far beyond the Frenchman's work  and largely codified
the discography of popular music.
Its  acknowledged legacy includes other catalogues of American vernacular
music, such as Godrich and Dixon's Blues and Gospel Records, 1902-1942  (1964),
which Rust himself published, and my own Country Music Records: A  Discography,
1921-1942 (2004). But anyone who has compiled a  discography in any popular
idiom probably owes something to the "sage of  Hatch End".
Born in Golders Green, north London, Rust acquired  his first gramophone record
at the age of five, but his most significant  purchase was on 31 March 1936 – it

was typical that he should remember  the date – when he found in a junk shop a
copy of Ostrich Walk by the  Original Dixieland Jazz Band. A white quintet from
New Orleans, the ODJB  came to represent much of what he valued in jazz:
vitality,  accessibility, danceability.
Later he corresponded with, and met,  their leader, Nick La Rocca, whose agenda,

in the early days of jazz  historiography, was to minimise the African-American
role in the  creation of jazz. Rust never went quite so far in his writings, but

his  instinctive preference was generally for white jazz, and even that only  up

to a point. By the early 1930s, he felt, the music was losing its  way. He had
little time for swing, which, he wrote, "must not be  confused with jazz," and
none whatsoever for bebop or any new direction  from the 40s onwards. The term
"mouldy fig", used by modernists about  jazz fans who prefer older forms, was a
badge Rust wore with pride.
Many  obstacles lie in the discographer's path, but Rust persuaded companies  to

unlock their archives and tirelessly reproduced information on  a typewriter –
often several times over, as he was generous in sharing  material with other
researchers. He had a special affection for Victor  records, which he
part-documented in The Victor Master Book (1969), and  chose the name for his
son.
He also reviewed jazz records for the  Gramophone for more than 20 years, wrote
sleeve notes for hundreds  of LPs and co-authored, with Rex Harris, Recorded
Jazz: A Critical Guide  (1958), whose cheerful wrongheadedness (as many would
now regard it)  anticipated the similar, but much better argued, antimodernism
of  another jazz lover born in 1922, Philip Larkin.
During the 70s,  with jazz, or what he regarded as jazz, sorted out, Rust
documented  other music from the cylinder and 78rpm disc era, publishing
British
Dance Bands On Record, The Complete Entertainment Discography (both  1973), The
American Dance Band Discography (1975), London Musical Shows  On Record (1977),
The American Record Label Book (1978), and British  Music Hall On Record (1979).
He also became a popular broadcaster.  After the second world war – which, as a
conscientious objector, he had  spent as an auxiliary fire officer – he had
reluctantly returned to  being a bank clerk (his job since leaving school), but
then joined the  BBC gramophone library, where he helped to compile record
programmes.
From  1973 to 1984 he presented Mardi Gras on the London radio station  Capital,

spinning nothing but 78s. He sounded, as his friend Chris Ellis  recalled, like
"a cross between an Oxford don and an overgrown  schoolboy, always bubbling with

enthusiasm".
In 1970 he left  London for Swanage, in Dorset, where, despite poor health, he
supervised  revisions of his books, worked on further label discographies, and
reminisced in My Kind of Jazz (1990). He is survived by his wife, Mary,  their
daughters, Angela and Pamela, Victor, and numerous grandchildren  and
great-grandchildren.
Val Wilmer writes: Brian Rust was one of my earliest mentors. I had heard jazz,
aged 12,  and was fascinated to know more. When I learned about discography, I
wrote to Brian, the acknowledged master. That he should have helped
a 13-year-old girl amazes me to this day, but he did, answering every  query and

guiding me towards making a card-index system for my records. I  still have
those 78rpm shellac discs, protected in thick cardboard  sleeves and stickered
with orange cloakroom tickets for numbering.
Brian  invited me to lunch at Broadcasting House, followed by a tour of the
gramophone library. Then for my 16th birthday, he presented me with  a shiny
Duke Ellington 78 on its original American label. I repaid his  faith by
uncovering some minor "finds" in junk shops on my way home from  school –
selling these on to him, of course, to demonstrate what I had  learned about the

business of record-collecting.
He gave me  addresses, too. I wrote to the great New Orleans drummer Baby Dodds
and  started a lengthy correspondence with Polo Barnes, clarinettist with  both
King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton. Many years later, I stayed with  Barnes in
New Orleans – something that could never have happened without  that initial
introduction.
Brian was delighted with my  achievements, especially when I became a published
writer. Our  friendship faltered when my tastes and politics changed – he had
some  odd ideas about the white contribution to early jazz – but all that was
forgotten when I contacted him again a few years ago. Popular belief was  that
he no longer answered letters. Well, he answered several of mine –  and taped me

some rare recordings – as helpful and friendly as ever.
• Brian Arthur Lovell Rust, discographer, born 19 March 1922; died 5 January
2011