[Dixielandjazz] Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra and "Send in the Clowns"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 26 14:47:22 PDT 2011

Harry Callaghan wrote [in part]:
> While Elizabeth Taylor,Diana Rigg and 2 other actresses did their own singing in the movie's [A Little Night Music] opening number "Love Takes Time" there has been some controversy as to whether Ms. Taylor actually recorded "Clowns" or whether it was dubbed.

Dear Harry,
It would seem that Liz did not sing in the opening number ("Love Takes Time") for the fillum 'A Little Night Music'.
Elaine Tomkinson was the 'dubber'.
Apparently Liz did her own singing in the other numbers.
However, I also have the following two dissenting references on file:

•"A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC (1977): Elaine Tomkinson for Elizabeth Taylor, Leslie-Anne Down & Chloe Franks [partial]."

•CAST:
Desiree Armfeldt - Elizabeth Taylor
Charlotte Mittelheim - Diana Rigg
Frederick Egerman - Len Cariou
Anne Egerman - Lesley-Anne Down
Mme. Armfeldt - Hermione Gingold
Carl-Magnus Mittelheim - Laurence Guittard
Erich Egerman - Christopher Guard
Fredericka Armfeldt - Chloe Franks
Burt - Heins Marecek
Petra - Lesley Duncan
Note: Most of the female singing vocals (except for Diana Rigg's) were dubbed by Elaine Tomkinson

Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Aaaah - Glynnis Johns!
I had a crush on her when I wuz a youngster.
And still love that husky voice.