[Dixielandjazz] Diary of an Improviser.

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 19:12:38 PDT 2011

Snip from post of Steve's below.  Steve, I thought that was some
especially helpful advice about a good way to move into an improvising way  of being.
 I have just started working with a couple of 14 year old twin  boys on
playing together (jazz banjo) with one of them playing chord melody and  the
other a moving line of rhythm chords apart from where the melody is -- and
thinking of that rhythm as able to both hold time steady and create some
counter-melodic interest.

I get to see any of my kids such a short time each week but I would love an
 opportunity to teach some improv based on what you suggest below.

Those who hate banjo are excused from reading the article link I'm posting
next. :?)  But me, I'm thrilled that the reporter got my mission conveyed
so well in such a short newspaper article.
(_http://www.southcountytimes.com/Articles-i-2011-03-25-174155.114137-STL-Ba
ndJos.html_
(http://www.southcountytimes.com/Articles-i-2011-03-25-174155.114137-STL-BandJos.html) )

Ginny

In a message dated 3/25/2011 10:35:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time,