[Dixielandjazz] Verses

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 25 17:18:47 PDT 2011

 Pat Ladd wrote:
> I finally read that "throw'd her down" was slang for left, >>
> What version of Bill Bailey is that? It is Bill who is  thrown out,  not the woman.
> "when I throwed you out, with nothin` but a fine tooth comb"
> Why else is Bill being asked to come home?

Dear Pat,
As the Subject heading implies, it is the verse that maintains that he "throw'd her down."
In the chorus she is the one who regrets "when I drove/throwed you out, with nothing`but a fine tooth comb."
Very kind regards,
Bill.

Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home
Words and Music by Hughie Cannon

Verse 1: On one summer's day, the sun was shining fine.
The lady love of old Bill Bailey was hanging clothes on the line
In her back yard, and weeping hard.
She married a B & O brakeman that took and throw'd her down.
Bellering like a prune-fed calf with a big gang hanging 'round;
And to that crowd she yelled out loud.

Chorus: Won't you come home Bill Bailey, won't you come home?
She moans the whole day long.
I'll do the cooking darling, I'll pay the rent;
I knows I've done you wrong;
Member that rainy eve that I drove you out,
With nothing but a fine tooth comb?
I know I'se to blame; well ain't that a shame?
Bill Bailey won't you please come home?