[Dixielandjazz] Diary of an Improviser.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 08:31:14 PDT 2011

Dear Allan and Pat:

There comes a time in most improviser's history where instinct takes
over. One can start by memorizing the chord changes and then working
out a coherent new melody using those chords. Or one can just play
chord arpeggios on each change, or scales on each change (like John
Coltrane). Or one can simply hear the changes coming in advance and
devise a melodic line that fits.

Pat, you can take a tune like Five Foot Two, memorize the chords, and
then realize that Darkness on the Delta uses the same changes for most
of it, or that Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone uses exactly
the same changes, just a different key etc. Then with a little
practice, you should be able to construct your own tune over these
changes. by humming a new melody.

Over time, it becomes second nature and one doesn't have to think so
technically as Kent  did in the Diary. But one must practice all those
chords and scales in order to get a working knowledge of the horn, how
the chords/scales sound and thus where the improvisation can go.

I'll never forget the late tuba player Norm Burbank. He was a monster
tubist who could not read music and did everything by ear. He did,
however, know his chords and scales in all permutations. He could hear
a tune once, and then play a coherent / swinging bass line on the
second chorus.

His son studied Tuba at West Chester University and was an outstanding
award winning student. Yet he couldn't play on gigs as well as his dad
and he asked Norm about it.

"Say dad, I am an accomplished tubist, great formal music education,
know the horn etc., and yet I cannot play on gigs as well as you do.
Why is that? What's the difference?"

"The difference;" said Norm, is the 10,000 gigs I played before you
played your first one. "

Nothing succeeds like on the job training. But my suggestion is to
play Five Foot Two, or Darkness on the Delta, or Please Don't Talk
About Me When I'm Gone very slowly and sing a different melody over
those changes. (in the same key)  Start by the singing the first 2
bars of 5 ft 2, then the second two bars of Please Don't Talk and the
third 2 bars of Darkness, repeat etc. and voila, with a few
modifications you will have a new melody. That's melodic
improvisation, not where you embellish on the existing melody, but
where you construct a NEW melody over the existing changes

Remember, two of the greatest improvisers, Louis Armstrong and Sidney
Bechet were doing it 100 years ago without that technical knowledge.
They probably started with the Blues and sang the melody from there.
Then they started on their OJT and 10,000 gigs. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband