[Dixielandjazz] Diary/ before going to the big band in the sky

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Fri Mar 25 05:41:44 PDT 2011

instinct takes over?
As you play, there is a point  in your growing experience when you know the
tune and  can hear a chord change coming.. Is being able to improvise
around
that chord, which is what I imagine improvisers do, just the next stage?
Some attain it and some don`t. .......I live
in hope that in the few years left to me I might, going downhill with a
following wind, just be able to improvise around the chords  over eight or
twelve bars. If that is not the way it is done I might as well give up
now."<<<<<

I think everyone learns it differently but you must end up in the same
place.  I have a friend who has the type of perfect pitch that allows
him to improvise naturally - no work!  It has taken me several years,
but I think I'm as good as he is now.; again he doesn't work at it.  I
still "play by the numbers", so to speak, but it is starting get into my
ear. I make a lot of mistakes, I'm still lerning the instrument, I need
a new sax (mines a 40 year old beginner's instrument), etc., but it's
going to happen before I go to "the big band in the sky".   To answer
Pat, I've been teaching mathematics and music for about 50 years.  I
could teach you how to do it to point where you coould have a lot of fun
and fool all the people most of the time.  Maybe I'll make a series of
videos on the Diary and put them on youtube.