[Dixielandjazz] Band loyalty

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 24 19:22:08 PDT 2011

> Dear friends,
> Who will finish off this longish thread with the wonderful story about the
> jazzman reluctantly hired by a famous symphony orchestra for an important
> upcoming concert?
> I don't recall it well enough to do so.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill,

I don't know your story re a jazzman and a symphony Orchestra, but I do know
the one where a swing band leader had an important recording session lined
up. On the day everyone was ready and rearing to go when the wife of the
lead trumpet player phoned in to say that her husband was desperately ill
and couldn't make the date.

"What'll I do" wailed the bandleader. "I know" said one musician " a great
trumpeter player, Joe Blow, lives just down the street - I'll go and get
him" When he turns up the leader asks "Can you sight read?" "Sure says" Joe.
"Thank God" says the leader "Let's get started" So he taps his baton, counts
them in and away goes all the band except Joe Blow, who sits there looking
at the music in front of him.

"Why aren't you playing?" yells the leader."Well" says Joe "I can't read it
yet" "Waddya mean, you can't read it - you said you could sight read" shouts
the band leader. "I can" said Joe, "but not at first sight".

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell