[Dixielandjazz] Viper Dixiealnd

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 16:05:44 PDT 2011

Dear Andy,
Oh Boy!
Did you lead me on a merry dance.
The 'CD' cover for SCD 235 DIXIELAND provides the names Paul Lenart and Billy Novick and googling turned up the following:
  http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/dixie-land-new-orleans-jazz/id366542260
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsaRBgV5mo4
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8FRixnETgU&feature=related
  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0866437/soundtrack
  ( check the tune/composer list)
The iTunes 'biog' above mentions The Black Eagle Jazz Band.
There is a Billy Novick site with some interesting information at:
  http://www.billynovick.com/id102.html
And his biog mentions the New Black Eagle Jazz Band.
And here is Paul Lenart's biog from APM.
  http://www.apmmusic.com/g-l/paul-lenart
Lot's of entries for Billy Novick in Tom Lord's Jazz Discography (New Black Eagle JB, the Back Bay Ramblers, Pam Pameijeer) with people we know including listmate Butch Thompson and Eli Newberger.
It is tempting to suggest that the competent band that recorded "The Viper" may have beem drawn from the New Black Eagle band.
Must sign out for an hour or so.
Other more urgent things require my attention.

Regarding:
> And just to make all you American guys jealous, it's available on Spotify.

Not only the Americans.
It is for 'Windows' only and not available for Mac users.
Very kind regards,
Bill.