[Dixielandjazz] Diary of an Improviser

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Wed Mar 23 09:00:28 PDT 2011

I'm a "Classic Jazz" banjo player who took up the alto saxophone at age
60 (I am now 64).  I did this because I wanted to participate more in
the melodic aspect of the music.  It's been an interesting journey, and
I have written a brief diary about how  I went about learning to solo.
The diary is not yet finished and neither is the journey, but I thought
it might be of interest to teachers or others who wish to do what I
did.  If you go the site below and click on the document "Dairy of an
improvise+", it will come right up.

http://www.southalabama.edu/mathstat/personal_pages/murdick/stuff/Community%20Music%20School/