[Dixielandjazz] Hot Al

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Mar 23 04:31:48 PDT 2011

There's a particularly swinging Al Hirt LP recorded at his (then) club in
New Orleans with Bob Havens on trombone, and Pete Fountain on clarinet
(before they defected to Minnesota).

I recall well "The Saints", with each taking a note of the melody, is really
fun!  (And, THAT'S jazz!)

I know, I know!  Fun Jazz is not Serious Jazz, so that's a no-no,
also....(since we're deleting The Dukes, the FH5, and Al Hirt from their
rightful place in the jazz archives).

Yep, I even play "The Saints"...quite often, in fact.  It's the one song
everyone seems to know (in a multilanguage audience), and everyone enjoys
themselves singing along (with the weirdest accents!)

Al Hirt on Audio Fidelity cd (or cd's?) shows some amazing trumpet, and is
before his commercial (with strings, etc.) albums, I believe.

Jim