[Dixielandjazz] Leaving djml?

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Mar 22 15:29:07 PDT 2011

Larry Walton wrote:

> By the way I tend to use 3 1/2 Rico Royals.

I once knew two clarinetists who were good friends. Bill owned a music
store. He played with a double lip embouchure and used Rico Royal 1 1/2
reeds. Jim had a fairly open-lay mouthpiece, and used Vandoren 5's. Jim
would come into Bill's  store and ask for a box of Vandoren 5's, and Bill
would remind him that those were sold at the local lumber yard. Jim would
retort that at least his reeds didn't come in a package of four double-ply
rolls.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers