[Dixielandjazz] FW: The REAL Dukes of Dixieland

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Mar 22 11:35:44 PDT 2011

Tom Coleman wrote:
>.......the REAL Dukes... at the time they were considered schmaltzy and
"commercial" by many jazz musicians. I believe much of that to be jealousy
at their fame.

That was what I said in a previous post to djml.  They hit the big time with
the advent of Stereo players & the Audio Fidelity recordings.  Most audio
shops in my area had the Dukes playing to show off the wonderful effect of
this new, wide sound!

>Frankie played a swingingly beautiful trumpet (had an awesome voice as
well!), Frankie's tailgate was iconic and exciting.

You meant Freddy of course!  And, how about his lovely tone on tunes like
Blue Prelude!  That's one thing I've never understood.  How come so many
trombonists try to emulate the sound of Turk Murphy?  I would think that a
clear tone, such as Freddy Assunto had would be the target for most.  Don't
get me wrong, Turk was great, but he was Turk.  A "one & only" thing.

Jim