[Dixielandjazz] Dukes and Stuff

James Mullins abejim7 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:14:56 PDT 2011

I was really enjoying the discussion and feedback on the Dukes until a
discouraging word was said about Lu Watters.  Oh well, everyone is entitled
to their own opinion.  I too was introduced to OKOM by listening to the
FH5+2.  A guy by the name of Whitey Sanders who lived in the same dorm I did
at Western Ky State College had a collection of jazz and blues which he
played for us.  It was the same time period as The Hilltoppers (Jimmy Sacca,
Billy Vaughan, Don McGuire & Seymour Spiegelmann) and Whitey had an
unofficial group he called the Hillfloppers.  He later worked for a
Milwaukee newspaper as a political cartoonist and had a band called the
Basin Street Saloon Band which appeared in Sacto back when it was called the
Dixieland Jubilee.  I too would never have gone to Earthquake McGoon's, the
Tin Angel and other places in the bay area had it not been for the FH5+2.  I
started attending festivals in 1980 and have been attending ever since.  I
think some people miss the point about bands like the FH5+2 and others.
They were plenty good enough at what they did and who they did it for.
Their audiences may not have been the most sophisticated or knowledgable
about  the technical aspects of jazz, but they knew what they liked and they
liked being entertained.  I am speaking as a non-musician who loves OKOM.
Thanks to all who responded to my initial request for info about the Assunto
Dukes recordings.  The DJML is a real source for obscure info about OKOM.  I
guess it's not obscure if you know where to look.

Jim Mullins
Bend OR