[Dixielandjazz] Songs we dislike was Wang Wang Blues

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 18:53:23 PDT 2011

  "M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> wrote

In answer to Barbone  who posted a kick ass Marty Grosz version of
Wang Wang Blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xCUVf1SE_4&feature=related

>>> Try this one Mike L. . . . Sweet!<<<

Indeed, Steve!  If I'd heard THAT before Whiteman's 1920 acidic
treacle, I might have enjoyed it more over the years.  It's actually
an okay tune, but since I seem to be the only person in DJML who
thinks we should critique music in both direction, I every now and
then need to document a tune I can't stand.  Remember years ago that
list of tunes I can't stand?  That thread went on for weeks!

Dear Mike:

Indeed I do remember that thread. It was a long one proving that each
of us has his own list of  tunes he or she dislikes. I was amazed at
how many people dislike "Indiana" or "Lady Be Good". I also remember
thinking that if an improvising musician did not like a tune, he/she
could easily invent another one to play that uses the same chord
changes.

eg. Don't like "indiana"? OK, then play Donna Lee by Miles Davis which
uses the same changes. Same for all those tunes one can play using
Bill Bailey changes if one hates Bill Bailey. Same for "Lady Be good".
If a muso hates it, play Hackensack by T. Monk. Or, play your own tune
over the changes and/or change the rhythm etc. Easy for a melodic
improvisor to do.

Then again, a few years ago I had Randy Reinhart playing as a sub in
my band on a gig my regular guy couldn't make. Always a believer that
in a Dixieland Band, one should play tunes the trumpet/cornet likes to
play, I asked before the gig:

"Randy, what tunes would you like to play? Which ones do you like."

He replied deadpan: "I hate them all."

He had just completed his CD with Kenny Davern, who often used the
line; "I hate that tune" when sidemen would suggest a number.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband