[Dixielandjazz] Carmichael and Teagarden

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 18 18:14:48 PDT 2011

Hello all

My 2 cents worth in the discussion between Marvin and Bill on Hoagy
Carmichael's November 1930 /Lazy river/ and Eddie Condon's October
1928/Makin' friends/.

/Lazy river/ (John R T Davies' transfer on JSP HOAGY 2): No doubt for me
- it's _river_ every time.

/Makin' friends/ (John R T Davies' transfer on King Jazz 108): I hear a
horn behind the first part of Teagarden's vocal but it's well off-mike
and I can't tell if it's a cornet or a trombone. There is a slide at
approx 1min 30 sec but, for me, it's in the too hard basket.

Discussions on the minutiae of jazz are always valuable - they lead us
to listen carefully. In these cases I re-discovered Joe Venuti violin
histrionics on /Lazy river/ and Art Miller's bowed bass on /Makin' friends/.

All the best,
Anton